- I'm updating that I'm pretty sure the duncan and the acan are now going to bite the dust. One by one most of the LPS are starting to die off. All started when I screwed up the kalk dosing. Haven't done it in weeks, as I've gone to 2 part dosing. Whatever it is, it doesn't appear to be affecting the chalice or the favia, or the SPS. I've also started dosing magnesium this week to try to get the upper hand on the bryopsis. So water changes are going to be on hold for a little while. When (or if) the bryopsis has been killed off, I'm going to be doing massive water changes for a couple weeks. I'll probably do several rounds of 15-25 gallon changes of natural seawater to try to regain whatever balance I've lost. I'm also going to do some serious sandbed cleaning while that happens too.
- I can no longer appear to grow LPS in my system. The Duncan, the Acans, the Favia, the Torch, the Candy Cane and bubble gum challice - all gone. In my system, they like some PO4 and NO3 I suppose. The ATS (Algae Turf Scrubber) has cleaned my system thoroughly from what I can tell. I have to clean my glass once a week (mostly from minor cyano). I have some Bryopsis in one spot that struggling to hang on. The is some hair algae growing on the top of the overflow that for some reason the snails won't touch.
I've been feeding much heavier now and the skimmer has been offline for quite some time. My ATS is now growing red turf and some HA. Also added a yellow tang for some more fish poo. Poor Pat (the male anthias) got bug-eye and appears to be mostly over it now, is still hiding out a lot in the rocks, maybe it's made his eyes more sensitive to the light.
Enough rambling, I've got my Kalk drip down and seem to have gotten the CA and Alk back inline. The SPS and Zoas seem much happier now. I suppose if I'm going to stay on the ATS road, I'll be sans-LPS :(.
- I've caved to the bryopsis. I've decided to swap my rocks. I bought all dry rock from Bulk Reef Supply and it's been "aging" in the can in the garage for several weeks now. I got the 29 gallon tank set up in the front room. I'm going to frag everything into at least 2, so if one doesn't make it, hopeful the other will. If they both make it - sale!
I also pulled the algae turf scrubber and put the skimmer back online. I'd rather clean the cup than the ATS screen. I may revisit the system with a different method of scrubbing in the future, but for now the priority is ridding the bryopsis. After all, it seemed very effective at ridding the system of PO4 and NO3.
- The move/swap is now under way. Spent last night moving whatever coral is left as many crabs and snails as I could find. Even moved a few bristle worms too. After getting everyone moved, drained the tank and removed the sand. Cut an inch off the overflow to give me more water room at the top (and remove some turf algae growing on top). Reinstalled the overflow and called it a night.
Got up this morning and cleaned the tank, the stand and replaced all the pvc. Refilled the tank, cleaned the sump, added the new rock and some sand. The Pukani rock I got from Bulk Reef Supply was really large. I ended up having the take the hammer and chisel to two of the pieces. After all, this is only a 75.