We went to China in Feb for 10 days. When I came back, we had one extremely hairy fish tank. War on. I removed every single rock and scrubbed them out of the tank, so the spores wouldn't spread. I took one of the totes I had that wasn't clear and set up a holding tank for the worst rock. I put more than half of the rock in the tote and scrubbed them every other night or so.
I did 50% water changes twice a week on the tote. After the second one, I measured PO4 at .03 and NO3 at just under 10. So the algae was locking up quite a bit of NO3 apparently. Every est on the display tank always came up 0s. After about 3 weeks, I started rotating the rocks between the DT and the tote. It took about 6 weeks to get the upper hand. I have by no means won the war, but at least the battle so far.
By Mid April, some spots are still holding out. I think every rock has been in the tote at least once and some 2 or 3 times. It's time to step it up. I debated between fully "cooking" the rock, buying all new rock, or going the way of chemistry. After some lengthy thought, I decided on Algaefix.
I've read several forum discussions and various posts around the www and thought I would give it a try. I chose this method because I have a couple or coral frags that are now "infected". This means they cannot be "cooked" and I really don't want (or can't) frag them away from the pest.
So I picked some AlgaeFix up from PetsMart (at a stupid premium) and added the first dose on 4/12/10.
- Added all but one rock from the tote back to the tank (the other rock is huge and the light rack needs to come out). Scrubbed any obvious algae before putting them back in the DT. There wasn't much, but...
Added the second dose. Pulled some algae from one of zoas (the red + green one above), it didn't have much resistance - that's new. I'm continuing dosing vodka, skimming wet and running light on the sump in an opposite schedule. The chaeto in the sump isn't showing any signs of problems so far.
- Third dose added. Put all the rocks back in the DT and dumped the tote. I'm not seeing any growth of any significance anywhere. What HA here is, is starting to look "stringy". Spent an hour or so this afternoon redecorating rock. Only noticed two little tufts of HA. Looking good so far.