I'm pretty sure we're now looking at replacing every single stud as well. Although, I'm leaning more towards a half wall, and more glass (at least the glass doesn't rot!). Either way, more $. Now that the real heavy work is done (except for the remaining debris removal), time to move on to replacing termite damages wood and working on the walls and ceiling.
- I've been working on ripping out the ceiling over the shower. Every single piece of wood (except for the rafters) has major termite damage. I was weighing replacing the drop, but after getting the plumbing sticker shock, I've decided just to make it even with the rest of the ceiling. It'll make it look larger anyway. I also have to replace every single stud in the walls around the shower as well. They're all toast from the termites.
We got the plumbing estimates, they are ranging from $1500 to $2800. The majority is going towards a new shower floor. I really have no desire to do it myself. Of course this doesn't cover any fixtures.
- Spent the weekend (4 days) in Vegas, obviously didn't get anything done. About broke my arm before we left though trying to remove a very stubborn board in a corner. All but one board has been removed now. Had Monty (Kaylor) come over to take a look at raising the window in the shower so we can get the right size. By raising the window, water will have less of an opportunity to pool there. Also won't have to get opaque glass.
Just waiting on the plumber to come by and give me his 2 cents on where I can place the new wall. The old wall actually split the slab and the mud, wasn't covered by the pan, so it acted like a wick to suck up any moisture that got back there (you can see in pics above). I'm thinking placing the new wall even with the edge of the slab. Also need to know where he wants the electric for the hot water supply pump. Can't order vanities until that's done too. Got to know how long they will be.
- The demo is now 99% done. Spent the afternoon yesterday taking up old thinset. About broke my toe. Thank goodness for hydrocodone! Still having trouble getting out one furring strip - it's halfway between the closet and the shower. I've managed to split it trying to get it out. I will say this much, they knew how to sink concrete nails in 87.
Spent the weekend shopping around the web for lighting and plumbing parts. American express is going to love me this month. We still have to procure a valve for the shower (we're doing a wall head and a rain head), cabinets (waiting on plumber to tell me where the best place to put the wall is), mirror frames, sinks, granite, faucets, a toilet, a fan and who knows what else.
Everything is kinda waiting on wall placement. I'm trying to figure out if it's better to move the wall flush with the slab or replace it where it was. I thought where it was inviting moisture problems - it hung halfway over the shower and the edge wasn't covered by the pan, so it acted like a wick for moisture in the wall. Once that is settled, I can (re) build the walls. I'll hit HD to day for new furring strips and tapcon screws to put in new furring strips. I should at least get that done today.